Mr. Jeffrey M. Schilz is an Engagement Director with Iknow, where he consults with state government agencies and assists corporate clients in conducting due diligence in the area of healthcare-related mergers or acquisitions and developing strategies for value-based growth.
Mr. Schilz was previously a Senior Consultant at Lucas Group where he performed similar work. Prior to joining Lucas Group, Mr. Schilz served on the senior staff of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford from 2008–2011 in a variety of capacities, including Policy Director, Budget Director, and Cabinet Director.
Mr. Schilz has the following relevant expertise and capabilities:
- Deep Familiarity with State Government Agencies. In his roles in the Governor’s Office, Mr. Schilz gained significant experience with the functioning and structure of state government agencies, as well as a working knowledge in a wide range of policy areas. This experience allows Mr. Schilz to understand the practical problems that are inherent in making changes to a government agency that are only learned through experience inside government. Further contributing to his knowledge of state government agencies, Mr. Schilz has been part of teams on various projects for agencies in various states, including Florida, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas.
- Current-State Assessments. Mr. Schilz has worked on projects with state agencies in various states, including Florida, Mississippi, and Texas, that give him experience evaluating an organization’s strategic agenda, conducting current-state assessments, evaluating programs and initiatives, defining relevant metrics and benchmarks, and establishing visions, strategies, roadmaps, and timetables for performance improvement and growth programs.
- Process Redesign. Mr. Schilz has assisted state agencies in documenting business and information processes (including process maps) and capturing business rules.
- Organizational Change Management. Mr. Schilz has worked with state agency clients to implement business process changes. This experience includes designing and implementing organizational change management programs, defining job roles and responsibilities, establishing people-related policies and procedures, and creating the enablers to support collaboration and knowledge sharing. Currently Mr. Schilz is assisting the Texas Department of Family Protective Services and the Mississippi Department of Human Services on two projects in this capacity.
- Review of Statutes and Regulations. As a part of his work on various projects for state agencies, Mr. Schilz reviewed all statutes and regulations that are relevant to a specific program to determine whether the program’s current business process is in accordance with the law and what changes to the process are allowed.
- Budget Management for State Agencies. As Budget Director, Mr. Schilz oversaw the appropriations process for the governor’s office, including drafting of three executive budgets that annually prioritized spending for each agency in state government.
- Analysis of Complex Federal Programs and Policies Implemented in the State Government. While serving as Policy Director, Mr. Schilz led policy analysis/development for all state and federal policy areas—including the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)—both of which contained funding streams for numerous programs.
- Mr. Schilz has been a Senior Business and Government Consultant since leaving the Governor’s Office in 2011. Before joining Iknow, Mr. Schilz provided similar consulting services through Lucas Group and The Stephen Group.
- From 2007 to 2011, Mr. Schilz served as Policy Director, Budget Director, and Cabinet Director for the Office of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. In addition to his many responsibilities as described above, Mr. Schilz served as a link to/from the governor’s office and the cabinet agencies (Department of Health and Human Services; Department of Social Services; Department of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services; Department of Juvenile Justice; Department of Corrections; State Law Enforcement Division; Department of Commerce; Department of Employment and Workforce; Department of Motor Vehicles; Department of Transportation; Department of Revenue; Department of Public Safety; and the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism).
- Mr. Schilz worked as a private practice attorney from 2006 to 2007, and preceding that was a law clerk to the Honorable John C. Few.
Mr. Schilz’s clients include the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS), the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF), the Mississippi Department of Human Services (MDHS), and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS).
Mr. Schilz earned a juris doctorate degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law and a bachelor of science degree in physical education from the College of Charleston.
Mr. Schilz is a member of the:
- South Carolina Bar Association
- College of Charleston Board of Trustees