Dr. Bernard L. Palowitch, Jr. (Bernie) is an experienced business management and technology consultant. He is the Founder and President of Iknow LLC, the world's leading consulting and systems integration firm in enterprise knowledge management. Dr. Palowitch is an Engagement Director, Senior Consultant, and Knowledge Management Subject Matter Expert at Iknow. He has over 35 years of consulting and project management experience and has been involved with or led more than 200 consulting assignments during his career.
Dr. Palowitch has the following relevant expertise and capabilities:
- Knowledge Management Strategy. Expertise includes conducting current-state assessments; collecting and prioritizing business and technical requirements; establishing the KM vision, strategy, roadmap, and timeline; and defining relevant metrics and benchmarks.
- Business Process Redesign. Expertise includes documenting business and information process flows and decision logic; discovering and capturing business rules; and designing/redesigning new knowledge-enabled processes.
- Content and Information Architecture. Expertise includes designing information architectures; creating taxonomies and metadata schemas; capturing and harvesting knowledge; migrating, cleansing, and enriching content and digital assets during technology upgrades; and developing content-related policies and practices.
- Systems Development and Integration. Expertise includes conducting current-state technology assessments; identifying, evaluating, and selecting KM-related software products and platforms; designing and conducting pilots/proof-of-concepts; managing the installation, configuration and customization of commercial and open-source software products; and managing application design, development, and integration projects.
- Organizational Change Management to Support Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing. Expertise includes defining job roles and responsibilities; establishing reward and recognition programs; and designing and implementing operating and governance organization structures.
Dr. Palowitch has outstanding systems implementation experience in content management, document management, digital asset management, and search technologies.
- President, Engagement Director, and Senior Consultant, Iknow LLC, 2001–present
- Senior Partner, Ernst & Young LLP, 1996–2000. At Ernst & Young, Dr. Palowitch sold and directed client assignments at many of the world’s leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies. He was the firm’s global service line leader for both Strategy Services and Knowledge Management in these industries.
- Corporate Director–Business Reengineering at Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, 1992–1996. In this role, he initiated, planned, and directed strategic and process reengineering projects across the company. While at BMS, Dr. Palowitch led several enterprise-wide business process reengineering and performance improvement projects in new product development, supply chain, finance, human resources, and legal areas.
- Senior Engagement Manager, McKinsey & Company, 1987–1992. Dr. Palowitch began his career at McKinsey & Company, where he was a Senior Engagement Manager. At McKinsey, he led numerous consulting engagements at clients across many process, assembly, and technology-based industries.
Dr. Palowitch’s commercial clients include Amgen, Booz Allen Hamilton, British Petroleum, Daimler AG, Detroit Edison, Dow Jones, Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Kraft Jacobs Suchard AG, LafargeHolcim, Merck, Pfizer, PPG Industries, Raytheon, Roche, and Shell Oil Company.
His government and NGO clients include the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, the State of Delaware, the State of Florida, the UN, and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Palowitch earned a Doctor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was awarded a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship. He earned a Master of Science degree in Management from MIT's Sloan School of Management; a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh; and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from the University of Pittsburgh.
Dr. Palowitch is a member of the:
- Institute of Management Consultants (IMC)
- Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP)
- Association of Strategic Alliance Professionals (ASAP)
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- AIIM, the enterprise content management industry association
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Dr. Palowitch is certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) by the Human Resources Certification Institute.
Bernie enjoys playing a variety of racquet sports, sailing, and traveling.